5 good reasons to update iStripper

掲示板 / iStripperに関する全て

Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1024 投稿
February 20, 2019
They have done this type of card change before, basically ***** us to update our softwares if we wish to use the newest cards.

You can count on this happening again. Any format change to the models.lst file or the card's xml file would have this effect. Even worse, upgrades to old cards using the new format would cause those cards to fail in the old software. Two examples:

1. If they encode a cards release date in either the models.lst file or xml file.
2. If they move the hair color attribute in the xml file to be part of the model data so that the hair color of both models in a duo card could be stored.
elfine
Joined in Jul 2017

81 投稿
February 27, 2019
It's never a good solution to ***** people to update a software. The best example for this is Microsoft and Windows 10, it ***** you to update and when they make a big mistake you are stuck with an unstable system and your major applications don't even work anymore until they can make fix. It's what happened to million people between Candiate 1709 and 1803.

It's the same for video/motherboard drivers never update if you don't encounter any problems, or if you aren't really concerned by what the new version fix/offer.

So if there are no major change (as improvements) or nawty bug fixes in iStripper, for me there is no point to update.

@Dorsai6
1. If they encode a cards release date in either the models.lst file or xml file.
2. If they move the hair color attribute in the xml file to be part of the model data so that the hair color of both models in a duo card could be stored.

Not necessary, for models.lst prolly since its encrypted for the xml file its different, all depend how the software reads it to retrieve data. Since xml rely on tags you could prolly add one more specific data at the end of a normal line without making an old version crashing, it would prolly warn or even skip that specific data.
(and the software use more than one xml file... name, staticproperties...)

Otherwise you're right, any major change in the format would have an effect on older cards and the software.
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1024 投稿
February 28, 2019
@elfine,

Not necessary, for models.lst prolly since its encrypted for the xml file its different

The models.lst file is not encrypted. It's simply a fixed format binary file with some variable length strings to make things more difficult. It took me a day to work out the basic concept behind the format, but a lot longer to understand the details and I'm not sure I understand them all. I posted a detailed explanation of that format here in the forum 2-3 years ago. @Wyldanimal has also posted information about that file format.

Since I've been using iStripper, Totem has revised the models.lst file format 3 times to support new capabilities. Old versions of the software could continue to work using the old format, but the format change came with important new capabilities that made a version upgrade almost essential.

Adding new data to the XML file might break an old version of the software depending on how iStripper reads and parses the XML. If iStripper follows the standard conventions for reading an XML file, an old version of the software would continue to work, simply ignoring the new data. However, a lot of programmers take short cuts when reading an XML of known format that could cause an old version of the software to crash when trying to play a card with a new version XML file.

So, you are correct in saying that a format change in a data file would not necessarily require an upgrade. However, I think such a change would strongly encourage an upgrade for everyone.

まだ参加することはできません

iStripper の無料ユーザーはフォーラム内のトピックに参加したり新しいトピックを作ることはできません。
でもベーシックカテゴリーには参加できコミュニティーと接することはできます!